Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Hamilton #6- Angelica Tour in Hartford CT

Eliza- masterful. Had us in the palm of her hand. How she snuggled up to A on the bench in “that would be enough.”  This was the only Eliza that has me singing the songs afterwards.  She did more with that role than the 2 Elizas I'd seen previously.  

Alexander- how he grew from young to old. Ambitious to world weary.

Burr- very human. Just trying to hold it together. 

Angelica- she had real emotion after Reynolds Pamphlet. I’d never seen that. And just so good in Satisfied. 
How she snatched the letters out of Eliza’s hands during that second round in a totally different way.  I don't think I'd ever seen an Angelica do it with that much emotion- almost desperate but in a sad, helpless way.  

King- great. So nerdy and cute.

Ensemble- so tight!!  So precise.  We were sitting far away so I had a great view of the whole stage and what each person was doing.  

However, the Philip Des Moines Iowa tour is still the most affecting ending I have ever seen. I also wonder if that had to do with the angle from which I viewed it.  I was 10 rows back, very close, and off the the right, so I could see both their faces, and the distance between their bodies, as Joseph Morales as Hamilton gave Eliza a gentle shove- to get her out of the world, finally, to join him.  

I am still amazed with how you see different things in that show depending on where you sit.


It added so much to "Eye of the Hurricane" when I could see Iglehart as Jefferson looking down on Hamilton- as if, even Jefferson, who hated his guts, felt sorry for him.  You just can't see that from most parts of the audience.  And how I could look up into the hurricane. That was an amazing viewpoint.  You can't beat the second row in New York, that's for sure.  

In the Hartford Co, I could really see the whole stage, and that was cool to be able to appreciate the lighting and just the whole effect.  Really such a brilliant show with so many layers.  




No comments:

Post a Comment